Creative artists who can transform dreams and passions into the widening spectrum of the arts
The purpose of the college is to provide students with extensive knowledge in the fine arts and music and to enhance practical skills and artistic expressions in respective fields. Students and alumni participate in art and music activities and express their creativities through concerts and exhibition.Tel+82-42-821-6912 Homepagehttp://art.cnu.ac.kr/
- Music (Vocal/Composition/Piano)
The department of music is the place to express, understand, and create through musical activities. The department is divided into three main sections, with majors in piano, voice and composition. The curriculums include applied study, fundamental theory, applied harmony, counterpoint, ear training, performance study, choir contemporary music contemporary choir music, opera, diction, analysis, pedagogy, conducting, and repertoire literature, and composition class. The students will give annual concerts, chamber music recitals, evenings of concertos and opera performances. Through these concerts, which are open to the public, students will learn performance skills and contribute to local cultural development.Career Opportunities
Graduates can enter graduate school for further studies or work in opera companies and professional choirs and as accompanists and private teachers.
- Orchestral Instruments (Wind Instrument/String Instrument)
The department of Orchestral Instruments consists of two main sections: the winds major and string major. The winds major is divided into the woodwind instruments: flute, oboe, clarinet and bassoon, and the brass instruments: horn, trumpet, trombone and tuba, and percussion. The string major includes violin, viola, violoncello, double bass, and harp. The students take one hour of private lesson per week; during the lesson the teacher will help the students develop the proper skills and technique needed to become professional players. Additionally, the student will be active in chamber music studies such as trio, quartet and quintet, wind ensemble, string ensemble and orchestra, with strong music theory study.Career Opportunities
Graduates can enter graduate school for further studies or study overseas to become soloists. Also, they work with chamber ensembles and city orchestras to contribute to local culture.
- Fine Arts (Western Painting/Korean Painting)
The programs of painting, which started in 1982, were approved by the authorities in 1989 as sole painting department among national universities in the provinces. The Department of Painting has two separated programs: Korean traditional and Western painting. The Painting Art department is the most appropriate department for the person who wants to study painting profoundly. Through painting, we can express the sublime. Painting has been a monumental achievement in the history of civilization. Furthermore, we are sublimed by it in this contemporary society. Painting is a very important cultural delegate to exchange culture beyond racial and national problems.CNU offers the liberal arts and sciences as well as studio classes of basic painting from freshmen through sophomore courses, and educates students to produce their art works independently in junior and senior courses. We emphasize not only these studio programs but also theoretical subjects and art history.Career Opportunities
Many graduates have had private shows as well as group shows in this country and abroad. Our graduates have proved themselves to be able artists, educators, professors, part-time teachers, managers of art institutes, art museum curators, interior designers and have made other achievements in the field of painting art after completing their education at CNU.
The Department of Sculpture was established in 1989 at Chungnam National University, which has played an important part in specialized sculpture education. Sculpture helps people in our complex modern society to appreciate a new sentiment. It is also more durable than any other art form, with sculptures lasting longer than any other historical remains. Freshmen and sophomores undergo principal basic training. Juniors and seniors take practice courses, experience and diverse materials, and develop their own techniques and theoretical understanding of sculpture. The Department of Sculpture strongly encourages students to participate in experimental activities according to each students creativity, based on the organic harmony of traditional and modern styles. Therefore students can learn how to work with materials and express their individual technique.Career Opportunities
Graduates from the Department of Sculpture show their excellence through personal and group exhibitions, in domestic or foreign galleries. They are also active in creating and building memorials and sculptures.
- Creative Design and Material studies
Department of Ceramic and Textile Design
The department of ceramic and textile design offers the merged educations of art and design allowing students to explore and develop their possibilities of producing the necessities of life in clothing, food and shelter oriented in ceramic and textile areas. It aims to foster professional artists and designers who can create new values and living cultures of the day equipped with traditional and modern techniques with the spirit of craftsmanship and globalization.
The course encourages the students to explore creative and inventive expression realms by cultivating abilities through the integral education focused on the holistic intensive practical education based on the knowledge of humanity. The students are trained in the use of a wide range of materials in ceramics and textiles presenting various artistic expressions. Along with liberal thinking, students are educated to explore the fundamental and conceptual aspects of art and designs on the basis of comprehensive awareness in human and living environments which stress social responsibilities by fostering humanity and affirming positive life. Students are trained using integrated education with subdivided subjects. In the first year, the students study basic curriculum including 3-dimensional moulding, basic craft, plane formation subjects, and get ready to express their own creative ideas on their major. Students successfully completing the first year enter their second, third and fourth year allowing them to explore areas of specialization with knowledge of materials and expression techniques in ceramics and textiles, and to cultivate their abilities by producing their own works of art.
Students are able to foster their own abilities to express their innovative ideas into their differentiated artworks of ceramics and textiles which are highly value added. They can cultivate their own ingenious creative artworks and design products as artists, start-up business founders and designers in industrial areas.Department of Visual Product Design
The department of visual product design aims to foster students to integrate their creative intuition and sensitive modeling ability. They get educated to utilize fully their holistic experience satisfying humans through designs merging immaterial factors such as images and services with material factors such as products and technologies. Students get to study basic curriculum such as basic design knowledge, design based knowledge, advanced design knowledge, and merged design knowledge to develop their designing competence. With specialized educational methods used to enhance creative designers, we offer the integrated curriculum for visual and product design for the first and second year and students are able to develop their individual abilities for advanced and merged design competence in their third and fourth year.
Our future society needs ingenious designers who can create values oriented towards humanity and break away from the conventional industrial system.
- Future designers are to be trained through an integrated design curriculum to have a holistic view to design projects.
- Creative designers are to study arts and humanities to create philosophical, ethical and practical abilities for comprehension of the social paradigm.
- Title : Professor
- Teaching : Ceramic sculpture and Design
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- B.F.A. and M.F.A., Hongik University, Seoul, South Korea
- Meister Schüler for Sculpture and Ceramics at the Fachhochschule Köln, Germany
- Diplom Designer for Ceramic Design at the Fachhochschule Niederrhein, Germany
- 28 times Solo Exhibitions and Numerous group exhibition
- 2005~2006 Resident Artist, at the University of the Arts as a Fulbright Scholar, Philadelphia, USA
- Member of International Academy of Ceramics
- Title : Professor
- Teaching : Graphic Design
- Email : email@example.com
- Ph.D. NiHon University of Art (Japan)
- Solo Exhibition 25th
- The 10th Tehran International Poster Biennial
- BIENNALE INTERNATIONAL DEL CARTEL EN MEXICO
- 21TH INTERNATIONAL POSTER BIENNALE WARSAW
- INTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE IN THE ARTS(IBHSA)
- Title : Professor
- Teaching : Fiber Art & Design
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.F.A., Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- B.F.A., Seoul Women's University, Seoul, South Korea
- 20 times Solo exhibitions and Numerous group exhibition
- Artist Fellowship, Seoul Foundation for Art & Culture, Korea
- Artist Fellowship, Incheon Foundation for Arts & Culture, Korea
- Artist Fellowship for International Residency program, Vermont Studio Center, USA
- Member of Korea Society of Basic Art & Dsign
- Member of Korea Craft & Design Association
- Title : Professor
- Teaching : Industrial design
- Bachelor of Art & Design at Chung-Ang University
- Master of Design at Korea University
- Designer, LG ELECTRONICS. DESIGN CENTER (1988~1992)
- Director of Design, Korea Institute of Design Promotion (1992~2006)
- Assistant Professor, Industrial design at HOSEO University (2006~2011)
- Title : Assistant Professor
- Teaching : Ceramic Design and manufacturing, Casting and Digital Fabrication
- Doctor of Art, Seoul National University, College of Fine Arts
- Member of editorial board, the Korea Association of Art & Design (2017~)
- Visiting Professor, Seoul Women’s University, School of Art and Design (2016~2017)
- Researcher, Institute of High-Tech Craft, Seoul National University of Science and Technology (2013~2015)