TOPIK Center for the Korean Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation CLEC (CNU Language Education Center) administers its own Korean proficiency test that is used by applicants for CNU undergraduate and graduate programs. Chungnam National University offers many courses for Korean and international students to enhance their foreign language skills. students can register for various foreign language courses, such as English, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Russian and Italian. In particular, the "Korean Language Course" that is taken by international students is CLEC’s representative program. The course plays an important role in cultural exchange at CNU.
LEC, E1-1, room 210, +82-42-821-8804
- Japan, U.S.A., etc. 11 students from 3 other countries (1996)
- U.S.A., England, etc. 40 students from 11 other countries (1997)
- U.S.A., Germany, etc. 16 students from 6 other countries (1998)
- France, Italy etc. 30 students from 10 other countries (1999)
- Yugoslavia, Poland 16 students from 10 other countries (2000)
- Australia, Hungary, etc. 53 students from 11 other countries (2001)
- England, Uzbekistan, etc. 55 students from 13 other countries (2002)
- China, Japan, etc. 106 students from 15 other countries (2003)
- Mongol, Russia, etc. 130 students from 16 other countries (2004)
- U.S.A., Pakistan, etc. 215 students from18 other countries (2005)
- Spain, German, France, etc. 213 students from 18 other countries (2006)
- France, India, etc. 114 students from 15 other countries(2007)
- Uzbekistan, Taiwan, Japan, etc. 210 students from 8 other countries (2008)
- Spain, Bulgarian, El Salvador, etc. 235 students from 10 other countries (2009)
- Portugal, Indonesia, Azerbaijan, etc. 340 students from 20 other counries (2010)
Educational Objectview & Content
|Level||Educational Objectives & Content||Hours|
|1||Individuals with no knowledge of Korean language will learn the principles of Korean vowels / consonants and pronunciation.
Individuals are expected to converse at a basic level upon the completion of the course.
|10 weeks (200 hrs)|
|2||Individuals are expected to communicate in day-to-day simple Korean and will be able to communicate on their own in public settings such as at post offices, banks and markets.||10 weeks (200 hrs)|
|3||Individuals are expected to understand and express themselves mostly in Korean. Individuals will go through in-depth training in grammar and writing.||10 weeks (200 hrs)|
|4||Individuals are expected to learn many vocabulary words and expressions. Basic social issues of Korea will be learned and understood, and they will gain skills / abilities to communicate in both work settings and university level class settings.||10 weeks (200 hrs)|
|5||Individuals are expected to understand general social conditions of Korea and express themselves in Korean.
Individuals with interest in applying to college/graduate schools will go through in-depth training in writing and reading.
|10 weeks (200 hrs)|
|6||Individuals are expected to speak Korean freely and have no problem watching and listening to Korean movies, dramas and news.
They will also be capable of communicating with Koreans.
|10 weeks (200 hrs)|
The CNU Language Education Center tries to fulfill students' expectations and learning desires by providing various cultural programs in which students can experience real Korean life out of the classroom. CLEC offers opportunities to understand Korea's past, present and future through diverse experiences: visiting historic sites, learning Korean traditional songs, Taekwondo, Pansori, Korean traditional dance, and calligraphy. In addition to these experiences, students will have chances to cook Korean cuisine, watch Korean movies and traditional art performances, and make pottery.
- Learning Korean Culture : wearing Hanbok, learning Korean etiquette, visiting historic sites
- Experiencing Korean Traditional Games : Yutnori, Jegichagi
- Cooking Korean Food : Rice Cake Soup, Gimbab, Bulgogi
- Field Trip : Beer Factory, Car Manufacturing Factory, Icheon Rice Festival
- Korean Speech Contest
An event to motivate Korean-language learners and foreigners to presents their Korean speech skills
- Korean Song Festival & Writing Contest
An event to give an opportunity for Korean learners and other foreigners to express their feelings in Korean songs and essays
- Field Trip for Korean Culture
An event for Korean learners at CNU LEC to know Korean language and its culture by experiencing other activities and field trips and giving foreign students an opportunity to get close to Korean tradition and culture
- Performance Day
An event to showcase students' newly developed language skills and to motivate others to learn Korean